Thursday, December 14, 2006

Socks my new role model

Socks is my adorable, black and white yet bossy, loud, demanding cat. She has the rule of the roost most of the time since I don’t spend too much time at home. Her favorite places include the cabinets above the oven, my bed when the afternoon sun hits just right, and my laptop when I am trying to type. Which leads me to a point – Socks knows how to tell me she needs attention.

Socks is indeed the loudest cat I know. She meows in high definition. She meows mostly to let me know things like “Hello, pay attention to me.” I can hear her starting from the main door of my building from two stories below where she is. She needs about 5 minutes when I come into the door to just have me hold her or her hold me depending on the day. If I don’t give her that, she is known to do the head butt which has knocked a glass out of my hand or meowing fast and loud or even sitting on whatever I try to do so I can’t do it until I give her some attention – then she goes on about her business usually in another room.

Now, before you judge me and say “oh, another single woman has turned into a cat lady”. I need to mention that I am not the perfect candidate to have or even want a pet. I am not home enough nor desire a cat that badly. However, I will do anything for a friend – and some friends needed me to take a cat. So I did. Nevertheless, I am glad to have Socks at home to beg for attention when she needs it.

Last night at Bible Study I led a game that requires silence and that one gives and receives. This game does not let you ask for what you need, but rather has your team members have to figure it out. We had a wonderful discussion afterwards about this community notion – good and bad. I said at one point – I like this because this means the community is taking care of me, knowing what I am good at and what I am not and giving to me what I need. The group said that we as a whole should get to know people enough to know how to help without talking about – a great idea.

When I got home to a screaming cat who I hadn’t spent enough time with in the last few days I realized that I could become more like her too. I could start alerting people when I needed taken care of or when I needed help. I won’t start meowing, but maybe I could just be honest to say – I have no idea, please help – or – I need a hug.

There are people in my life (hopefully you know who you are) that know me well enough to know what I need most of the time, I would love to grow in depth with you all as well as add to that number of people. Yet, I like to know myself. So, maybe I can be more like Socks and just ask for it. I need applause; I need a hug; I need to know that I am being a good human; I need you to carry my laundry up (which I do for the next strong person that comes to my house); I need a break, but I need someone to affirm that; I need someone to go through this with me.

Sure this sounds selfish, but I may just be able to be a better person for the rest of society if I can articulate what I need to do just that.

2 comments: