Wednesday, December 6, 2006

So I have been thinking a lot about belonging. Some of this thought has to do with how much I feel so loved and supported by my church family. The love I feel from and for them I have only experienced before in a family setting. They worry about me; they expect me to do some stuff and encourage me to do stuff I have never thought to do. They just held a fundraiser for my upcoming Christian Peacemaker Teams delegation, and while we raised plenty of money the more important part of the event was the interaction the congregation and I had with each other. Challenges, Encouragement, and Love. My church takes this belonging thing seriously. I belong there, I can’t imagine not being a part of this ministry called First Church.

The other big thing that is making me think about belonging is my new relationship with Jim, my boyfriend. It is strange to see that in print, but it is more strange to think about how much this relationship makes me think about who I am. I know how to be a good employee, usually good daughter and sister, a listening and helpful friend, a productive member of society, a passionate believer of Christ. I know how to belong in my roles helping me feel comfortable and happy with my life. I don’t have any clue how to be a good, helpful, loving, life giving girlfriend – therefore I don’t know how to belong in this new role. Jim tells me I am doing fine…but part of the issue for me in giving up some independence is not knowing how to belong in a new way.

Luckily, I belong to God – as we all do. So, while I have almost idolized belonging to my church and worry about belonging in a relationship – I know that God will help bring me to a place of understanding of how to belong in all the areas of my life.

1 comment:

Jim said...

*waves*
that's me! good luck on your blog I'm too lazy to keep mine up ;)