Thursday, December 21, 2006

Good quote

This reminded me of some things that were said in Bible Study last night.

Where would we be today if certain women, men, young people, and also children had not arisen at moments when the human family seemed destined for the worst? They did not say: "Let things take their course!" Beyond the confrontations between persons, peoples, and spiritual families, they prepared a way of trusting. Their lives bear witness to the fact that human beings have not been created for hopelessness.
- Brother Roger of Taize

2 comments:

Cat's Cradle said...

I can say that "religious correctness" as the writer calls it is becoming more and more important in schools. I don't teach religion classes, but the concern about how students perceive ANY controversy that may draw in religion is a big one for me. I teach about argument, so my classes need to read, think about, and discuss arguments to be able to understand how academic arguments work. What presents a problem for me is that I work as an adjunct professor, which means contracts are only from quarter to quarter or semester to semester and the school can stop giving me new contracts at any time with no explanation. I am VERY careful about the types of arguments I choose to have students read because I am so afraid of having students complain to administration that I am trying to influence their beliefs when I really just want them to learn to think critically. It's very challenging to try to find a balance-- How much can I get them to think about without putting my job in jeopardy? It's frustrating because sometimes I feel like I'm not teaching the classes as much as I could because I'm too afraid of upsetting someone. On the other hand, I won't be helping anyone learn if I'm out of a job.

(I know Krista and some of her friends will know who this is, but please don't refer to me by name. This is a public forum.)

Krista said...

Good point!