Sunday, December 24, 2006

I love Life of Brian

Here is an article from fark.com that made me think about one of my favorite movies.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/screen/story/0,,1978298,00.html

(I learned how to make an official link from here - so from now on you should be able to just click on the address I give.)

What is interesting is that I have seen many of the movies that the article mentions as ones that raise controversy because they take the Bible story and imagine a bit. In fact my favorite movies - Dogma, Life of Brian, Saved, Contact are all movies that take the Bible seriously enough to make fun of it. I find these movies not to be against faith but rather trying to live out faith in human ways.

Mentioned in the article are some cleaned up stories from the Bible that have recently been made into movies. Leading this venture is the new FOX Faith network/company. They recently released "One Night with the King" and out currently is "The Nativity Story". I haven't seen the later, but I did see the former. Believe me, I find the stories of the Bible to be amazing feats of storytelling in order to let me understand truth. One Night with the King I think showed both the beautiful and ugly side of the Esther story in a way that I hadn't experienced before.

That said, what I like about the previously mentioned religiously humorous movies is that they use faith as a starting point - they look more like my life - they doubt (Dogma), they think the cheesemakers are blessed instead of the peacemakers (Life of Brian), they judge (Saved), and they struggle with faith in relationship with the other stuff that they can prove to be true (Contact). Faith is important to these movies and to me - I think about faith a little more when I watch these movies - and my hope is that others do too......so bring them on and lets not worry if they are following the correct line of Biblical thought or proper theological doctrine.

In case I don't write tomorrow....May the chaos that surrounded the first Christmas, infect your life in healthy ways this year and next.

No comments: