Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Community at the Gym

So, I went to a new class tonight at Lawndale Christian Health Center. It is called Body Toning, but that isn’t important. What is important is the fact that why doing these really hard pilates moves, the teacher announces that if she sees one person stop we will start over. She said it was a community building activity – we were to encourage each other.

My first inclination was to say “Hey, this isn’t church!” But it was my decision to join a Christian Health Center…. My second inclination was to say “I don’t know any of these people, this is my first time in this class.” My third inclination was to say “Boy, I better not stop!”

I think that is the best thing about community is that challenge to be together – and the challenge to be together. I did better pilates because I knew I needed too for the sake of the class. A great example of people usually are better people as a result of being in a community.

We got through, we had to do 2 extra sets of 10, but we got through….my abs are better for it…and so am I.

No comments: