Sunday, December 2, 2012

Best Meal



What was the most delicious meal I ate?

For a foodie such as myself, 2012 was not a good year.

For the first 4 months, I was unable to smell, cook, or eat much at all.  Then, for June, July, and most of August I was eating most of my meals at work.  

But I remember in May last year I was meeting someone for a working lunch at a cute off-a-back street Spanish place and the woman I was with asked me to offer the prayer and I said something to the effect of “Thank you God that I can just enjoy thinking and smelling this food.”  It was probably the best meal of the year – it was a good meal yes, but better being one of my first that I could enjoy again after what seemed like forever.

The other meals that I enjoyed this year were at the places that I have become regulars at.  Inspiration Kitchen which always blows my mind – but recently when I was there the waitress said to my then 12 week old said, “A lot of your organs are made from my food.”  Its true.  Or at the local pizza place that knows my order.  Or the local neighborhood joint where a waitress said, “You usually don’t eat as much as you did today.”

I will always love the event meals – its in my DNA – but more and more I love being known and having my meals be more and more about being a part of the place and less about the food.

No comments: