Monday, January 21, 2008

Comfort food

In the last week of being sick, I have only felt up to cooking comfort food...which I am sure has caused some pounds to come back on me...however, I have been thinking about comfort food and how it has that effect of comforting - and salad which I normally love and desire - doesn't have that appeal when I am sick. For example, Saturday night after being out, we came home without eating out because nothing sounded good. I made chicken broth gravy to be on top of a piece of bread, some cut up chicken, a scoop of leftover mashed potatoes. Jim also only seen this in mom and pop places to eat; while I served tons of like things at Tracy's while waiting tables, I am pretty sure we had it at home.

Then last night, I made broccoli and corn casserole. 1 can of creamed corn, 1 can of corn, 4 cups of broccoli, 1 cup cheddar cheese, 1 sleeve of saltines, crushed, 3 eggs. It is from the Tightwad Gazette. Combine all and bake for about 1 hour. It is casserole goodness - but like I said, horrible for health.

Luckily, we finally had enough energy to clean (of course, having a house guest who is staying with us for 4 days was incentive) completely last night - and I feel better today so hopefully salad will be gracing my lips soon.

1 comment:

Alyzarin said...

I used to work at a Tom Thumb restaurant, and I remember serving the potatoes/gravy/bread thing quite frequently. I think we had it in chicken (BRIGHT yellow) and beef (dark brown).

I remember being sick a couple months after my wedding and I ate almost nothing but frozen chicken and noodles dinners for three full weeks. (I do not miss those days!)