Sunday, June 22, 2008

Travel Log 102

I started, read, and finished Jesus for President by Shane Claiborne and Chris Haw while on planes last Sunday. It was much better than Claiborne’s first book – l actually didn’t throw this one in anger. (While some would argue that makes a perfect book, one that strikes emotion – I am using it in the sense I that I agree with his points this time around albeit idealistic in some ways.)
Some quotes:
You can no more have a Christian worldly government than you can have a Christian petunia or aardvark. Greg Boyd
We are dying and killing for abstract nouns like freedom and democracy…but this is not the gospel of Jesus Christ. Quoted from a US soldier in Iraq
If I am crazy, it is because I refuse to be crazy in the same way that the world has gone crazy. Peter Maurin, co-founded of the Catholic Worker Community Movement
Those Godless Galileans feed our poor in addition to their own. Emperor Julian
Love is a harsh and dreadful thing to ask of us, but it is the only answer. Dorothy Day
Its election year and once again poor people are running…for their lives. Gil Scot Heron

No comments: