Thursday, September 13, 2007

overmixing

I made my first batch of muffins in probably 3rd grade. I remember on cooking day with my 4-H group at my aunt's house overmixing muffins on purpose to see what would happen. I don't think I have ever done it other than that, until yesterday.

I was thinking of that lesson, like I do every time I make muffins, and yet I must have liked mixing too much yesterday. I can't believe I did this. However, they were still good and didn't have the peaking that can happen - so they look normal until the inside.

Here is the recipe:


1 cup old fashion rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup non-fat milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 egg whites
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. sugar
raisins or nuts (optional)

Soak the oats in milk for about one hour.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.
Combine the oat mixture with the applesauce and egg whites, and mix until combined.
In a separate bowl measure and whisk the dry ingredients together.
Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Add nuts or raisins if desired.
Do not over mix the batter or the muffins will be tough. Spoon muffin mixture into muffin pan.
Combine the cinnamon and sugar and top each muffin with some of the mixture.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done.
Remove from pan, cool and enjoy.
These can be frozen and reheated in the microwave for a quick breakfast.

Number of Servings: 12

2 comments:

Alyzarin said...

I notice there's no oil at all-- That can make muffins tough, too. So maybe it wasn't entirely a matter of overmixing. Maybe a very small amount of oil would help. I might have to experiment with these now that I'm thinking about it!

Krista said...

No, I overmixed - I make this all the time and they usually aren't tough...but good suggestion