Wednesday, July 25, 2007

fun with leftovers

So, I must admit I am indeed having fun with leftovers...I love figuring out ways to use up stuff...and the last two days have been good days for that. Yesterday, I chopped an onion, threw it in some broth (leftover) to brown, threw some broccoli (meaning to use for awhile, frozen), and then added rice and for the liquid a mixture of milk and broth. After that was all done, I cut up the leftovers veggie burgers and regular burger and mixed it in. Jim loved it - and I was impressed with the difference in taste with the creamness that the milk in the rice made (fat free milk, even).

Today, I was flipping through a magazine before I threw it out and saw a recipe that I thought I might like to try sometime - the more I thought about it the more I realized I could make it tonight with a few changes. So, here is the recipe I made.

Salad:

About a cup of diced cukes, a handful of diced onion, 1 diced jarred bell peppers, about 1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes, and one diced avocado and a bit of salt.

Hot Dish:

With a bit of wine act as oil - I added about 1/2 lb green beans (frozen, Trader Joe's) and about 3/4 lb of shrimp to a hot pan. Once cooking was on the way I threw in some garlic, some beef seasoning, and some ginger. Once all warm and wonderful smelling -

I took a scoop of the salad and a scoop of the hot stuff and served over baked tortilla chips. (The orginal recipe was to be served as tacos - but we still had the chips from the birthday party.) Wow was it good!

Highly recommend the whole thing but the salad was awesome.

No comments: