Thursday, May 10, 2007

serving

Yesterday, I had an appointment to talk to a pastor to schedule the summer of volunteers at his church's soup kitchen. Here are some of the things I learned.

1. I was dressed up, well dressed up for DOOR, to meet with the pastor. However, when I walked in the kitchen crew said - "Hey Krista, we need your help." So, after a very brief meeting with the pastor I ended up finishing lunch and serving lunch and cleaning up. There is something important about the notion that people know me well enough to ask for help, feel like they can ask. That is an awesome feeling.

2. One the kitchen guys asked how long I had known about them - I said well, I came when I was in 7th grade and I am 30 now. I was at the place where I served on a mission trip when I was in 7th grade living in Ohio. Wow, it is fun serving in a place like that - reminds me that my job really can change lives.

No comments: