Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Random thoughts

Some mind wonderings:
I just read an article about how to digitize your life – how to rely on the internet for more and more so one’s house is neater, one’s finances are better understood, and generally making life easier. I read with interest. Half way through the article (in a paper, not online, magazine) I realized that I do most of the things they suggest. I have digital cookbooks on two different websites, my calendar is on my phone and my computer, I log everything I eat on a website, rely on web shopping, keep track of books I read on a website, journal using a blog to name just some of the tasks. All this to say, why I love all these things it does make me super reliant on a computer, and usually my Palm. I act like I can’t do anything, know anything, or react to anything before I have my laptop. And while there is good to all that, I also find it a bit crazy to think that I can’t function without a computer – something that most of the world’s population still lives without.
****
I am making a challenge for myself over the holidays. Next week, starting Monday, I am going to make a slow cooker meal each day for seven days straight. This will be fun trying new recipes as well as having that great warm feeling of getting home and having everything done. This will also fill our freezer with good for you yummies for us to use later – or for Jim to have when I travel in January – boy howdy my plane arrangements for January are pretty interesting.
****
While I am talking about food: I made a salad for dinner tonight that I loved. I really like salads, but rarely make them for suppers. A suggested recipe turned into this for supper:
Served two
2 small carrots, chopped
2 cups of mixed greens
1 cup cucumber, chopped
2 small celery stalks, chopped
2 tablespoons of pinenuts
1 apple, sliced
2 small chicken breasts, no skin, chopped into bite sized pieces
I browned the chicken breasts in a small amount of oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. I assembled the salads on two plates instead of mixing them together (saved a dish to clean). I added swiss cheese pieces to Jim’s. Jim had ranch, I had a bit of oil and vinegar to top.

No comments: