Wednesday, June 6, 2007

barack bet

On cue from my wife on her last post I will tell the story of our bet on our honeymoon.

We were laying around in bed on our second night when Obama came on TV.

I said "did you know his middle name is Hussein?"

"No it isn't" she replied.

"OK wanna bet?" I said.

"Sure"

"I bet a quarter." I was being nice as I knew she would so lose

"Let's make it interesting, if I win you get to take me out at Jubilee Juice and if you win you get...ummm a Wii point card worth 10$."

"Deal"

I walked downstairs and wikipedia'd Barack Obama and printed out the first page of his information. At the top of the page it said "Barack Hussein Obama" ZING!

And that's how I won our first bet on our second day of marriage. Let's hope I keep winning them hehehe ;)

5 comments:

Taking it like a man said...

I think it's very interesting that it should be important that his middle name is Hussein.

What I mean is, would that conversation have been different if his middle name was Samuel? Or Aziz? Or Kilesh? Or even Mohammand.

Fact is, Hussein is not an uncommon name in any Islamic community, much like Mohammad.

Jim: "did you know his middle name is Robert?"
Krista: "Oh, yeah? Interesting"
Jim: *SNORE*

Jim said...

lol she just didn't believe me. It doesn't bother the two of us that it's his name at all

Taking it like a man said...

Oh, I never meant that it bothered you. I'm just saying, would she have believed you if you told her his middle name was Aziz or Sam or Bob or Mohommad? What name would she have believed without question? Why did she not believe it was Hussein? What is it about Hussein that makes it a less believable name than Jim?

If you tell me that your friend's middle name is Jack, I wouldn't assume you're lying. I mean, why would you lie?

Krista said...

I think you are right alex....I wouldn't have cared one bit, I wouldn't have assumed Jim was joking around just to mess with me if he had said his name was James, for example.

It is sad that names link us to things even when we have nothing to do with those things.

Taking it like a man said...

That's exactly what I meant Krista. We're all so guilty of that kind of thinking, although I'm not sure that guilty is the right word since I don't think the individual is really at fault here.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're ever going to be able to counteract these powers of association.