Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day

(Please forgive the post below – if you aren’t in a lovey dovey mode, this might not be for you. My boyfriend is a bonafide geek – his life (other than me) is centered around the internet so this in some senses is my open letter to him on Valentine’s Day)

In late December, Jim joked with me about my blog becoming all about him. It scared me – I wanted to date someone but not have it take over my blog. I looked this morning, and have only mentioned him twice since in somewhat passing thought.

So, now it is Valentine’s Day….so I thought this might be the time to bring him up. I realize that Valentine’s Day is a holiday that isn’t really real. I mean, it is a holiday that is held up by all the things I don’t like – materialism, consumerism, and making relationships about what “I get out of it”.

To be honest, in this stage of our relationship, Jim and I don’t need a day to especially appreciate each other or even say “I love you” – hey we are newly in love – we have turned into crazy people – well, I should speak for myself – I have turned into a crazy person. Hopefully, we never will rely on one day a year to show that we love each other.

That being said, it seems appropriate to say something in honor of my love, Jim.

Once upon a time, a little over a year ago, I met this guy named Jim. He liked movies, loved computers and was interested in me. He offered to take me out one afternoon. I accepted. I thought he was nice, but so not my type not to mention that I didn’t want to commit to anyone. So as in the fairy tales, I became the mean stepsisters and started to try to scare him with anything and everything I could think of to get him to go away. I was horrible! So horrible that I couldn’t even tell people that I was going on a date – I mean, I was embarrassing. Eventually, he did give up. I was excited.

Several months later, he contacted me while he was having his first migrane….knowing that I might know what to do. I did, and I came over to his house to bring him some remedies because I felt so sorry for him. I mentioned that I liked being friends because I knew how to do that. We started hanging out, watching lots of movies, getting to know each other – he realizing that I wasn’t as crazed as I lead on previously, and I realized that he was actually more than a video gamer. You know, in fairy tales you get information that hasn’t happened….so I will let you in on something….Jim once “joked” that all I needed to do was say the word and we could date again. But commitment phobe Krista really thought it was indeed a joke.
So in the fall, after Krista had a failed bad blind date and Jim gave up on a girl he thought be interested in and they realized that they might be indeed need to give each other a chance since we were seeing each other so much anyway. So, we did. And we are. And we will.

No comments: