Saturday, February 28, 2009

Some thoughts on the last week

Last weekend, we headed to Valpo for a meeting even though Jim wasn't feeling that well. On Friday afternoon, I stopped by the University Chapel which I had always wanted to - I took pictures from my phone, which aren't good. So I found this website to show anyone who might have interest in some amazing stained glass. Here.

We also found a 5 lb resealable bag of sour patch kids - oh, joy. If you have still not found out about these wonders, that are better than chocolate, see here.

The week was filled with nights in and I cooked each night and loved it. I finally made a corn bread that has Jim's approval and is only 150 calories a serving. We liked it so much, I made it twice (Jim ate it in his lunch almost everyday).

1 c cornmeal
1 c flour
1/4 c white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 c 1% fat buttermilk
1 whole egg
1/4 c tub margarine

1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking powder.
3. In another bowl, combine buttermilk and egg. Beat lightly.
4. Slowly add buttermilk and egg mixture to dry ingredients.
5. Add margarine and mix by hand or mixer for 1 minute.
6. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes in an 8-by 8-inch, greased baking dish. Cool, cut into 10 squares.
Makes 10 servings.

I also hit it big with a new chili recipe that was based on a recipe I found in Women's Health with some major changes. I think a lot was added by my addition of the Sweet Red Pepper soup.

1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion
1 tsp garlic
1 lb ground turkey breast
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of chickpeas, black beans and kidney beans
oregano and red chile powder to taste
V8 red pepper soup - one carton

Saute onion and garlic with the oil. Then brown the turkey. Add the tomatoes, spices, beans, and the red pepper soup. Let simmer for 30 minutes.


This morning, I picked up some veggies from Growing Power - a Community Support Ag organization - we got sunflower sprouts (I love these), carrots, broccoli, cabbage, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and a variety of fruit. I am excited to try to figure out what to make.

Today for lunch we headed to Starship. Jim gets a kick out of showing me around the suburbs like I show people around Chicago. This is a place that he just remembered recently that is all about homemade soup and star trek. It is a cute little diner, and we even had a coupon (thanks to Joan for giving us an Entertainment coupon book!. When I saw it, it seemed like something Jim and I would do. Jim coming to me, "I need to a new place for all my collections." "Well, I could make some soup to afford the rent on your storage area...," my response. We came home with 6 frozen soups to try and enjoy. We had beef barley and cream of broccoli today.

No comments: