Thursday, March 15, 2007

Reflection

I wrote this for a news release for the Church of the Brethren:

I admit it. I had a stereotype about people working for peace. I thought “they” had it all together. I am glad I am wrong.

While I was on the January 2007 Christian Peacemaker Teams delegation to Hebron, I heard lots of people’s stories. Some people were in political power, others were in Israel, others in Palestine, and others were just people who were living their lives. I saw a glimpse of what life might be like if I lived under occupation. I saw people’s care for me; and I heard the cry to help carry their stories to my friends, family, and country. I learned that many Palestinians are living peacefully and trying to resist the occupation just by living out their day. Not all is perfect, but they work for peace anyway.

While we were in Jerusalem, we met with Michael Swartz, a representative from Rabbis for Human Rights. This organization brings voice to human rights violations that are happening in Palestine. I not only liked what the organization did, but I found hope in Michael because he didn’t seem to have it all together.

Michael is quite fond of the Wall, quite one-sided on several tension issues that we had previously heard an opposite view and has some racist attitudes. While I didn’t always agree with his perspective, I really was thankful for him. He was the first speaker that, in my opinion, didn’t have it all figured out. He works at a human rights organization and has the ground work lain for his social justice perspective – but sometimes other stuff gets in the way. Biases pop up; a brother’s friend gets killed by terrorists; understandings of the real issues get bound up. His realness was refreshing to me. I may want to grow up to be other people that I met in Palestine but I can be Michael now – I don’t have it all together but I can try.

Michael helped me realize the importance of being in the struggle. There will always been the person to look up too. Dorothy Day and Mother Teresa come to mind. Maybe they really did have it all together, but the average peacemaker, like me and Michael, we have issues, biases and even are wrong sometimes. We are a part of the process of peace. Thanks to Michael and others, I realize that I too can work for peace.

No comments: