Saturday, March 6, 2010

All in a week's time


The other day I realized a reason that my Mom and I may feel the need to go try new things other than just reading the paper (or in my case, blogs) and knowing about stuff. We really take seriously the authority of someone when they say, “You really should go see….experience…..eat….” I complain at times about being such a rule follower, but this may help me take seriously the need to experience and learn. So after that realization, I have been thinking about what I have experienced in the last while that I see as important – and in the last week, it has been a lot.

Last Saturday, I went to a Diversity in Missions Conference at Trinity International Seminary. I have lots of notes, but I found it to be a great way to do some more thinking about the work I am in, how exciting, how scary, and maybe at times profound.

After a day of thinking, I felt the need to veg but not at home where work loomed. Jim and I finally made it to Calumet Fisheries, a highly recommended white box of a place that serves seafood and fries – and that is it. Recently, this hole in the wall got recognized by the Beard Awards – sort of the Oscar of food awards. The funny thing is – the place is such a dive, the owner had to google the Beard Awards!

I also registered the KERK team in The Doughman – so we are officially headed to Durham, NC to eat and then run! The registration sold out in 15 minutes, so glad I did a little juggling to get it done!

Thursday afternoon, Becky and I went to a Sacred Spaces event entitled, “Discovering Chicago’s Religious Art and Relics” I was amazed at the time. First, what I really liked about the art we talked about was that it was used…vestments, altars, and pieces that were still used in worship. Useable art is important to me! I am also keenly aware of the importance of learning more about worship spaces for history and sacred sake.

Friday, Becky and I did a variety of things – none of which I have ever done. I was planning on us attending a part of “Redefining Neighborly Love” at Wheaton Bible Church – and so when it was a nice day decided we should take advantage of several other suburban options. First, we went to Morton Arboretum, one of those places that I heard was a must see. While, I want to go back in the Spring or the Fall – it was really cool and a great place to celebrate Chicago as it was going above 32 degrees. Second, we headed over to the Billy Graham Center on Wheaton College’s campus. It has a museum that tells the story of evangelical Christians since arriving in the US. It was interesting. While we were there, an exhibit was still being put up of work by Timothy Botts, an artist that I really find meaning in. This exhibit was of work that was based on Spirituals – Bound for Glory. Oh, I could have bought prints of each and every one. I bought two. I highly recommend this free exhibit.
Today, on the first nice weekend in Chicago, we headed to the Zoo. It was pig day at the Zoo, and I was able to get Jim to pose by this car that was a pig!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

What an incredible week and such an incredible city. Someday I'll get there [in the summer!!] and with more time to explore. -H